One of the hallmarks of confidence is being sure about your abilities and that those abilities will ensure a positive outcome. Confident people have a strong self-esteem with a realistic respect for themselves and their good attributes. That isn’t to say that even the most confident amongst us doesn’t need a boost now and again. Often when we lose our confidence, our self-esteem suffers along with it. It is helpful to have strategies that help us through those times when our spirits are in most need of a boost. Here are some tips and suggestions to help:
- You can often tell when a person is confident by their body language. They may stand tall and have a sparkle in their eye. They may dress to impress. Body language communicates to people around you and to yourself. When you will yourself to carry yourself with confidence, even when you aren’t feeling that way, you send signals with your body that failure is not an option. The way you dress as well as your grooming also have an effect on you. It is often a sign of how you feel about yourself.
- Another strategy is positive self-talk. Whatever your inner-voice tells you is what you begin to believe. When you project success and make it part of your mantra, you will yourself into believing in yourself. In contrast, it is very important to quiet that negative inner-voice telling it simply to shut up, failure is not an option. The more you practice positive self-talk the better you will be at doing it.
- Surround yourself with people who are happy and people that support you. Avoid people who are negative and do not see you at your best. People who are negative drag you down. Avoid people who are addicted to drama, individuals who suck your vital energy with their negative outlook in life. This may require you to sever relationships with some people who you care about.
- When faced with a setback, forge on and keep going. When you spend excessive time worrying about setbacks, it robs you from taking positive action in the present. Take time and understand what happened if it will help propel you forward, but then continue forging ahead. Do not panic. All you do is reinforce that small negative voice inside of you. It can cloud your ability to think clearly and rationally. Knowing when to get your head clear for perspective and when it’s time to get moving again is critical to overcoming setbacks.
- Genuine recognition and praise can go a long way. It is important to acknowledge your achievements and not diminish them. By doing so you reinforce positive behaviors, acknowledging your accomplishments building your confidence along the way. It is also important to acknowledge the accomplishment of your peers. It helps you by boosting the confidence of all those around you. It helps eliminate negativity around you.
Luck is only a fraction of what makes people successful. Often success is due to hard work and persistence. When persistence is coupled with confidence, your goals seem more attainable improving the likelihood of success. The more you succeed, the more confident you will become. It becomes a positive feedback loop leading to a happy life.